I mentioned earlier today that on the back of a bout of sickness I’m determined to make family life more peaceful and approach how to create an environment which fosters this, by looking at both of my children’s unique needs, as well as my own areas of struggle. There are many many ideas I came up with, and I’d love to get them all done, but one thing I’ve learned is that we can only do so much. The brain, heart, energy levels, well whatever it is doesn’t necessarily keep up with the pace we’d like. So, while there are teeny, tiny things I can do at all hours of the day (for example make sure I’m reminding my children of the clear expectations and breaking up everything into tiny tasks), my main focus this week is my morning routine. This is the area I think we can really improve and at the very least our day will start out right. So, looking at the needs of our family, here is my new routine Mon-Fri (and probably Saturdays as we are up early for my daughter’s music class).
Frugal Trenches Morning Routine:
- Wake up and give thanks
- Brush Teeth, Shower and Dressed (I’ve learned if I head downstairs first, then my shower gets later and later and ends up making us run late!)
- Make a cup of tea, sit quietly with it and my Bible (I haven’t been doing this at all recently, which may be adding to the stress), or at least some verses for the day
- Feed the cats
- Get breakfast ready for everyone
- Wake up my daughter – spend the first 5 minutes with her making sure she is on track
- Do a quick 10 minute tidy (garbage, make my bed, spruce up the bathroom etc.) by which time she needs to have brushed her teeth, got dressed and made her bed
- Send my daughter downstairs and get my son up
- Spend the first 5 minutes with him making sure he is on track to get dressed, brush his teeth and make his bed
- Do my daughter’s very long hair!
- Breakfast for everyone, read the children a story to help everyone stay calm and on task!
- Give the children their medication
- I do dishes while the children brush their teeth again, I brush my teeth again
- Everyone meets at the door and gets their shoes and coats on and we leave the house.
Just having it all layed out here helps so much. As both of mine eat very very slowly, and generally just take a while to “come around” in the morning, it simply isn’t possible for them to rush. I think most mornings I’ll get up at 5:30 and my daughter will get up around 6 and my son around 6:15 – 6:20. He is Mr. Tornado in the morning, so I think as much as we can both get done before he is up, the better it will be for us all. This way he can have more of my attention. And while I still may marvel at colleagues whose children take 20-30 minutes to do everything in the am, I’m finally accepting mine need a good 60-75 minutes before needing to go anywhere.
Hopefully Maybe one day that will change, but for now it is what it is! ; )
So Monday is day 1. And I’m hopeful. I’m really hopeful. The tasks haven’t changed, but I’ve tweaked the order and realized who needs to wake up when, and become aware that I need to set the tone as much as humanly possible and if I’m not scrambled, then they shouldn’t be too scrambled either. After all we aren’t eggs! ; )
Do you have a morning routine? Feel free to link to it! I find such things fascinating!