Lazy Man/Poor Man Cabbage Rolls

This is a great, frugal family meal after a long day, especially when the evenings cool down! :)

• 1/2 medium cabbage
  • Meat layer: 1 1/4 lb ground beef, 1/4 c grated onion, 1 egg beaten, 1/2 c uncooked rice, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/3 cup water
  • Sauce layer: 32 oz tomato juice, 4 tsp lemon juice, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 garlic clove

Pre-heat oven to 325, shred cabbage coarsely and place 1/2 in the bottom of a casserole dish (2 1/2 – 3 qt size). Mix meat layer in a separate bowl until well mixed, then spread over cabbage layer. Cover with the remaining cabbage on top. Combine sauce ingredients in pan and simmer for 15-20 min. Pour over cabbage. Cover tightly and cook in oven for 2.5 – 3 hours. Freezes very well! (Just sayin’ ;-)

I’ve found this a great recipe for a Saturday or Sunday evening at home. Generally I’ve served with a spinach, cheese (mostly feta) & pear salad or a light garden salad with lettuce, cucumbers, grated cheese, carrots & purple cabbage!

About Frugal Trenches

I love the sweet nectar of life!
This entry was posted in Frugal Food, Recipe. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Lazy Man/Poor Man Cabbage Rolls

1. Kelly says:

OMG! I love cabbage rolls! I almost always get them at our favorite German restaurant but have never tried making them at home because them seem kinda hard. This looks amazing! I will definitely be adding it to my menu plan for next week. One quick question…do you pre-cook the ground beef or layer it raw?

2. Anick says:

Wow, that recipe sounds very good and fairly easy. It helps that I already have a whole cabbage in the fridge and everything else on hand also. I second Kelly’s question about the ground meat, should it be browned before layering in the dish.

3. Niki says:

I’ve bookmarked this recipe, I have a similar one but this one looks a little more flavourful :)
    Have a blessed weekend!

4. kathleen says:

I definitely want to try this! I can’t wait for cooler weather (and cooler-weather recipes!) ((I’ve been so out of touch…big announcement as to why–and why it will continue for awhile–coming soon. Think of you often.))

5. Frugal Trenches says:

Personally I put it in raw!

Also add the end you can grate cheese & put on top (a couple minutes before it is done!) soooo yummy because of those extra calories ;)

6. Elizabeth says:

I will be trying this!!

7. Ellen says:

I made this last night because our veggie box from a nearby farm had a HUGE cabbage in it. What to do with cabbage? My husband loved it! Will definitely include in recipe box for a repeat performance. Thanks.

8. Pingback: Where I Am Right Now…and maybe forever?! | Notes From The Frugal Trenches – A Downshifting Journey

9. Lissa Grubbs says:

Do you freeze after cooking?

• Frugal Trenches says:

I personally always freeze after cooking! I’ve never tried doing it before! Generally I freeze so that I can simply warm up (knowing it’s already fully cooked!). I then freeze in portion sizes – one person, two people etc. Obviously can’t be re-heated again after that!

10. Pingback: Greatful, Thankful, Blessed | Notes From The Frugal Trenches – A Downshifting Journey