As you know, I’ve recently moved countries and am now trying to establish myself here as well as find a job! I have set many goals for August and it occurred to me while thinking about how much needs to be done, that one area I have the potential to fall in is the lack of a routine. I have to admit, I generally live by more of a rhythm that a routine, but as I’ve likened this month to training for a marathon, I think a little routine is needed. I also have a very exciting reason why I need a job as soon as possible (as in yesterday) so the reality is, I need to give a significant amount of time to a job search, in fact I’ve decided to treat it as a job.
My new routine Monday to Friday is going to look like this:
- 6:00 – 6:35 – Up, prayer time, bible reading, eat breakfast, tidy bathroom & bedroom
- 06:35 – 7:20 – Walk to swimming pool
- 07:20-08:10 – Swim, change, shower
- 08:10-09:00 – Walk home
- 09:00-12:00 – Blog post, emails, job search
- 12:00 – 12:20 – Lunch, quick tidy up
- 12:20-1:30 – Walk to gym (10m), gym (45 min), walk home (10m), visit library on way home as needed, usually 1-2x a week
- 1:30-5:00 – Job search
- 5:00-5:30 - Bible Study
- 5:30-6:30 – Dinner prep, dinner, clear up, sweep floors, tidy lounge area
- 6:30-7:30 - Any extra job related search/prep, anything extra blog related, emails
- 7:30-8:30 – Walk
- 8:30-09:45 – Read, phone friends, write letters etc
- 10:00 – go to bed!
As for the weekends, Saturdays I plan to go to the gym, job search/prep for 2-3 hours and then spend the rest of the day exploring my new surroundings. Sundays will be simple, relaxed and reclaimed so no job searching at all!
Now, this is only for a month and by then I think I’ll naturally fall into a new rhythm or have a job, but right now I feel I need a bit of structure. There will be some variation, one evening a week I will volunteer, one evening a week I’ll be attending a Bible study and one evening a week I’ll get together with friends [plus there will be lots of time for friends at the weekends!] I do know, that training requires a lot of time spend practicing so this month it feels like this is a realistic and good base to set the foundation for the future!