Oh June. It feels at times like it took sooooooooo long to get here, then in other ways it simply appeared with no warning. So many goals in June and so many new adventures….so what will I be doing? I’ll be spending most of it caring for babies in an orphanage and working with children in hospice care! I don’t yet know how many children I’ll be working with, what their conditions are or what their needs will be, I do know it is most certainly going to stretch me emotionally, physically and spiritually. I am sure there will be nights of tears, questioning and sadness but I also know, that if anyone deserves someone to stretch themselves in order to care for them, it is a child with no one, a child in an orphanage, a child who is sick, very possibly in pain with no person to call their own. Someone said to me once, why focus on the dying they’ll be dead soon anyways? To me, if a child can’t have some one to rock them for their last few weeks, days, hours, minutes, sing to them, comfort them and love them, then what does that say about our society or our human race? What does it say about our hearts? Will it be hard for me, absolutely, but that is not an excuse not to do something…
Helen Keller said “The marvelous richness of human experience would lose something of rewarding joy if there were no limitations to overcome. The hilltop hour would not be half so wonderful if there were no dark valleys to traverse“
I hope to blog through it all, I am sure there will be days when it feels all together too much, where the only thing I can do is be silent here and cry privately, but I hope to at least share some of the emotions I feel; I am not quite sure how you prepare for what lies ahead and I’m sure the blog over the coming weeks will share some of those emotions. My blog will, as always be real, but sensitive to the needs of those around me, I will share my story but not their story!
So what are my other plans and goals, in truth this is a busy month! I need to
- Tie up any loose ends with work
- Go for my 2nd interview for a possible promotion (I’ll find out if I get it the day I fly!)
- Spend the first week in June completely taking care of my body in order to be ready for the trip – this means exercising daily (hopefully swimming, the gym and walking), eating right, cutting out any sugar, sleeping at least 7.5 hours a night
- Continue with my volunteering 3.5 hours each week walking dogs and socializing cats, making any notes and planning any cover for my time away
- Setting up my co-op posts to post while I’m away
- Getting at least 7 posts (mostly financial and budget) set to publish during my time away
- A final Dr’s appointment
- Getting health insurance for the trip
- Visiting my niece again
- Paying any bills due while I’m away
- Collecting and packaging donations
- Packing – including food for my stay – right now I’m thinking about taking loads of organic fruit/veg pureed baby food, protein bars, dried fruits, nuts and buy water bottles there.
What are your plans for June?