- Friends who recently bought a farmhouse can no longer stay there due to lack of water and heat (!) so they’ve moved in! They’ve been here almost a week and will probably be here another week! I’m getting a great lesson in menu planning and hospitality and soooo enjoying being able to help them and care for them; and I have to say I just adore their company! They are a lovely couple and would seriously be the best in laws on earth
- I was able to get up this morning at 6 am to spend an hour in prayer! Seeing the images of Haiti is hard, but a big thank you to everyone who commented or emailed to share what they’ve been able to do, it really does make my heart leap for joy to know we do care and we are willing to sacrifice to help others!
- My 40 days of prayer and fast is going really well, I’ve had to modify the fast as needs dictate but I was able to seek some wise counsel from a good friend last night who assured me about the importance of doing what we can do with a joyful heart and that modifications when needed are not necessarily a bad thing! I’m finding even if I can’t always make my goals each day, I’m so much more prayerful and thankful which are both areas I really need to grow in!
- Amazingly, one of my favourite bloggers Tea For Joy sent me the book A Purpose Driven Life, well isn’t it amazing that it is about changing your relationship with God over a 40 day period?? I’m learning so much from the book (which provides ample scripture as encouragement) and it is really helping me with self-doubt, an area I really struggle with!
- On that note, I’m getting quite creative about applications but am focusing on prayer, listening to where I feel called and am “on hold” until my 40 days are up!
- I’m planning a trip to London for the weekend of Feb 19/20/21/22 (to coincide with the end of the 40 days of prayer & fasting). If anyone would like to meet up, let me know
- My flu is finally, finally better! My fever is gone 90% of the time, my cough is more manageable and while I still sound pretty gross, I can feel I’m turning a corner! Having had four bouts of flu since the beginning of July, I’m ready for a break!
- I am very much looking forward to watching Kevin McCloud exploring the real slums of Mumbai tonight on Channel 4. Sadly it also coincides with a year’s review of Obama’s Presidency on BBC 2, which I’ll be watching on iplayer. My media fast is over (I did 8 weeks with no television/films), I must do a post on it at some point!
- I’m very much looking forward to attending a dinner party tomorrow night and having a break from cooking
- On that note, last night I made (with the wonderful guest) an awesome stir-fry broccoli & toasted seed dish, with a honey and cinnamon sauce. Absolutely delicious
I'm Frugal Trenches (no, not my real name!) a lover of natural, simple and frugal living! I use this space and my camera to document a beautiful, purposeful, downshifted and abundant life! Life is not always simple (oh how I wish it was!) but it is always rich and I hope this space demonstrates beauty and joy!
If you have a question, feel free to leave it in the comments! I read and appreciate every comment and will reply to questions within the comment section, even if it takes a day or two (or three, but whose counting!).
Money Spent In 2014
Books Read in 2013
3. Flowers For Algernon
4. Animal Farm
6. The Secret Daughter
7. Family Pictures
8. Say You're One Of Them
9. The Twelve Tribes of Hattie
10. Behind The Scenes At The Museum
11. She's Come Undone
12. Crow Lake
13. Book of Negroes
14. The Virgin Cure
15. The Language of Flowers
16. Morality for Beautiful Girls
1.The Two Nazanins
2.Confessions Of A Bad Beekeeper
3.The Encouraging Parent
5.Why Be Happy When You Can Be Normal?
6.Raising A Right Brained Child In A Left Brained World
7.How To Make Your Child A Reader For Life
8.The Bookseller of Kabul
9.The Sane Woman's Guide To Raising A Large Family
10. The Secret Life of Henrietta Lacks
11. The 5 Love Languages of Children
12. Debt Free Forever
13. A Long Way Home: Memoirs of a Child Soldier
14. Excuse Me Sir, I Intend To Burn Your Book
15. The Whole Brain Child
16. The Secret Race
17. Child Catchers
Daughter Grade 3 (Chapter Books)
Stanley's Christmas Adventure
George's Marvelous Medicine
Sarah Plain and Tall
Ramona Books x 7
Road To Avonlea Chapter Books x 6
Junie B Jones Chapter Books x 6
James and The Giant Peach
Reader Level 4 Books x 12
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory
Agatha Girl of Mystery
Son Grade 1 (Picture Books)
January: 62 books
February: 73 books
March: 95 books
April: 89 books
May: 70 books + 4 chapter books